    SubjectRe: aio
    On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:06:29 -0800 (PST)
    > From: "David S. Miller" <>
    > Cc:,,,
    > Subject: Re: aio
    > From: John Heil <>
    > Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:57:34 +0000 ( )
    > True for now, but if we want to expand linux into the enterprise and the
    > desktop to a greater degree, then we need to support the Java community to
    > draw them and their management in, rather than delaying beneficial
    > features until their number on lkml reaches critical mass for a design
    > discussion.
    > Firstly, you say this as if server java applets do not function at all
    > or with acceptable performance today. That is not true for the vast
    > majority of cases.
    > If java server applet performance in all cases is dependent upon AIO
    > (it is not), that would be pretty sad. But it wouldn't be the first
    > time I've heard crap like that. There is propaganda out there telling
    > people that 64-bit address spaces are needed for good java
    > performance. Guess where that came from? (hint: they invented java
    > and are in the buisness of selling 64-bit RISC processors)

    Agree. However, put your business hat for a minute. We want increased
    market share for linux and a lot of us, you included, live by it.
    If aio, the proposed implementation or some other, can provide an
    adequate performance boost for Java (yet to be seen), that at least
    allows the marketing folks one more argument to draw users to linux.
    Do think the trade mags etc don't watch what we do? A demonstrable
    advantage in Java performance is marketable and beneficial to all.

    John Heil
    South Coast Software
    Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.029 / U:38.048 seconds]