SubjectRe: aio
Date
On December 19, 2001 07:57 pm, Ben LaHaise wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:01:59AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > It's AIO we're talking about, right? AIO is interesting to quite a few
> > > people. I'd read the thread. I'd also read any background material
> > > that Ben would be so kind as to supply.
> >
> > Case closed.
> >
> > Dan didn't even _know_ of the patches.
>
> He doesn't read l-k apparently.

Dan Kegel put it succinctly:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-aio&m=100879005201064&w=2

Your original patch is here, and I do remember the post at the time:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=98114243104171&w=2

This post provides *zero* context. Ever since, I've been expecting to see
some explanation of what the goals are, what the design principles are, what
the historical context is, etc. etc., and that hasn't happened.

I've got a fairly recent version of the patch too, it's a little too long to
just sit down and read, to reverse-engineer the above information. What's
missing here is some kind of writeup like Suparna did for Jens' bio patch
(hint, hint). There's no reason why every single person who might be
interested should have to take the time to reverse-engineer the patch without
context.

As Linus points out, the active discussion hasn't happened yet.

--
Daniel