    SubjectRe: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file
    Date
    On Tuesday 18 December 2001 8:55 am, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, James A Sutherland wrote:
    > > Not necessarily. You could, say, put the modules in a small filesystem
    > > image - say, Minix, or maybe ext2. Then just have the loader put that
    > > disk image into RAM, and have the kernel able to read disk images from
    > > RAM initially.
    > >
    > > Of course, this revolutionary new features needs a name. Something like
    > > initrd, perhaps?
    >
    > Had you actually looked at initrd-related code? I had and "bloody mess"
    > is the kindest description I've been able to come up with. Even after
    > cleanups and boy, were they painful...

    With a choice between that, or teaching lilo, grub etc how to link modules -
    and how to read NTFS and XFS, and losing the ability to boot from fat, minix
    etc floppies, tftp or nfs servers - almost any level of existing nastiness
    would be preferable to that sort of insane codebloat!

    James.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:29.568 seconds]