    SubjectRe: O_DIRECT wierd behavior..

    You are asking for something that Linux is not capable of doing.
    There is no means to send and error back from the disk flush to the
    fs/appilcation period. The current 2.4 can not even find the partition
    when send an error back up to the block layer. 2.5 has a chance, but
    currently none have the ablitity to notify or flush disk cache and recover
    of there is a flushcache error.

    Therefore it is potential a preferred model to preserve the entire request
    for a retry than to do a partial validation of an incomplete attempt.

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Joel Becker wrote:

    > On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 11:59:56AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Joel Becker wrote:
    > > > /* Smart program handles partial writes */
    > > > write(100k); = 50k
    > > > write(remaining 50k); = -1/ENOSPC|EIO|etc
    > >
    > > We do this, if the error is "hard". And "fatal" implies hardness, so we're
    > > ok here.
    >
    > Right. "hard" is also synonymous with "non-transient".
    >
    > > > /* Dumb program doesn't handle partial write */
    > > > write(100k); = 50k
    > > > close(fd); = -1/EIO
    > >
    > > But we're not doing this.
    >
    > IMHO we should be, and not just to comply with the letter of
    > SUS/Unix98. SUS specifies this behavior because a synchronous write()
    > can return after copying data to the buffer cache. However, the EIO can
    > happen later when the buffer cache is trying to flush to disk. The only
    > way for an application to see this error is to either run O_SYNC or
    > receive it upon close().

    Andre Hedrick
    CEO/President, LAD Storage Consulting Group
    Linux ATA Development
    Linux Disk Certification Project

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.025 / U:61.424 seconds]