SubjectSMP race in VFS.
Hello,

I have a question about a potential race, on SMP machines,
between the creat(2) and rename(2) operations. Rename has the
semantic that if the "newpath" exists, then it will be atomically
replaced. Now I have two processes: one is renaming a directory
"a" to directory "b" (which _is_ empty), while the second is
trying to create a file "c" within directory "b." In that test, the
directory "b" should _always_ exist, therefore, the create should
always succeed. However, there exists a window of opportunity
in which the create can return ENOENT.

Upon further investigation of the VFS code, I found:

do_rename():
lock_kernel();
error = vfs_rename(old_dir->d_inode, old_dentry,
new_dir->d_inode, new_dentry);
unlock_kernel();

that eventually calls down to:

vfs_rename_dir():
if (target) { /* Hastur! Hastur! Hastur! */
triple_down(&old_dir->i_zombie,
&new_dir->i_zombie,
&target->i_zombie);
d_unhash(new_dentry);
} else
double_down(&old_dir->i_zombie,
&new_dir->i_zombie);
if (target) {
if (!error)
target->i_flags |= S_DEAD;
triple_up(&old_dir->i_zombie,
&new_dir->i_zombie,
&target->i_zombie);
if (d_unhashed(new_dentry))
d_rehash(new_dentry);
dput(new_dentry);
} else
double_up(&old_dir->i_zombie,
&new_dir->i_zombie);

if (!error)
d_move(old_dentry,new_dentry);

vfs_create():
down(&dir->i_zombie);
error = may_create(dir, dentry);
if (error)
goto exit_locks;
lock_kernel();
error = dir->i_op->create(dir, dentry, mode);
unlock_kernel();

Now, in this case, both processes have performed their
path walks, and are now referencing the same dentry/inode
corresponding to the directory "b." The rename process is
able to acquire the BKL, and the necessary i_zombies first.
The create process must then block, within vfs_create,
waiting for directory "b's" i_zombie. The rename operation
completes, sets S_DEAD within the target inode (in this case
the target inode is the directory "b"), and releases all of its
i_zombies. At this point, before vfs_rename_dir is able to
call d_move, the process blocked in vfs_create is able to
acquire the i_zombie, and call may_create - which finds that
the directory "b's" inode is now dead and returns ENOENT.

The problem boils down to the fact that the d_move was not
called before the may_create. I am not sure of the appropriate
fix for this race, but I see at least two options. One is to move
the call to may_create within the lock_kernel() - however, that
may not be a good long term solution if the BKL is going away.
Another possibility is to move the call to d_move within the
protection of the i_zombie (within vfs_rename_dir).

The test was run on an SMP machine running Linux kernel2.4.7.
Upon inspection, I found that the race still exists in the latest stable
release: 2.4.16. And this race _only_ exists_ on SMP machines.

Comments? Ideas? Flames?

Thanks,
-Mike Gaughen

ps. Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to the list.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.025 / U:1.644 seconds]