    SubjectRe: 2.5.1-pre5 not easy to boot with devfs
    Linus Torvalds writes:
    > In article <>,
    > Pierre Rousselet <> wrote:
    > >As far as I can see,
    > >
    > >when CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is set
    > > and
    > >when devfsd is started at boot time
    > >I get an Oops when remounting, rw the root fs :
    > >
    > >Unable to handle kernel request at va 5a5a5a5e
    > POISON_BYTE is 0x5a. Something in devfs is using a pointer from a data
    > structure that was already free'd, and was thus corrupted by poisoning.
    > (the above is almost certainly just a pointer dereference off 0x5a5a5a5a
    > with an offset of 4 for some entry at the beginning of a structure,
    > which is why you get the final "5e" in the page fault address).
    > >It boots OK with devfsd when CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is not set.
    > >It boots OK without devfsd when CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is set (then devfsd
    > >can be started after login).
    > Well, not poisoning the free'd memory makes it "work" only in the sense
    > that usually the free'd memory hasn't been re-allocated yet, so you
    > don't see the bug even if it is still there.
    > Richard Gooch probably wants a full stack trace, with symbols. Which
    > should show it fairly clearly. At least EIP and the first few "stack
    > trace" entries..

    Indeed I do. Please Cc: me on devfs related stuff. And please apply
    devfs-patch-v200, which fixes a stupid typo. I'd also be interested in
    knowing the behaviour with 2.4.17-pre1.

    I also need your full .config and boot messages. And booting with
    "devfs=dall" is required as well.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.047 / U:1.324 seconds]