    SubjectRe: 2.4.17pre2: devfs: devfs_mk_dir(printers): could not append to dir: dffe45c0 "", err: -17
    Adam Schrotenboer writes:
    > On Saturday 01 December 2001 13:08, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > writes:
    > <snip>
    > > The new devfs core is less forgiving about these kinds of
    > > bugs/misuses.
    > >
    > > > devfs: devfs_register(nvidiactl): could not append to parent, err: -17
    > > > devfs: devfs_register(nvidia0): could not append to parent, err: -17
    > > >
    > > > with 2.4.16 and before the message was:
    > > >
    > > > devfs: devfs_register(): device already registered: "nvidia0"
    > >
    > > Who knows what nvidia does? Talk to them. Could be a bug in their
    > > driver where they create duplicate entries (the old devfs code would
    > > often let you get away with this). Or again, perhaps something in
    > > user-space is creating these entries.
    > >
    > As of 1541 anyway (haven't tried anything newer, assuming newer
    > exists), the make install of the nvidia driver also runs
    > (a vendor sp script that makes the devnodes. This may
    > also have been put in the initscripts (mine isn't, but i tend to use
    > the tar.gz fmt, not using the RPMs) Perhaps there is no check for
    > devfs (likely will be fixed in the next release, as this is a new
    > situation)

    Well, it doesn't matter if the install script dumps things into /dev,
    since that will be lost on the next boot anyway. What matters is if
    the boot scripts (or something else) puts things in devfs.

    > > > Why has this changed, and what is actually happen? My system runs
    > > > fine.
    > >
    > > You're lucky that the with way you use your system, it still works.
    > >
    > <snip> AFAIK, the nvidia scipt does not make the devnodes persistent
    > (if so, it's b0rken on my box)

    You can easily check this: move the NVidia drivers elsewhere and
    reboot. If device nodes for nvidia appear in devfs, then something in
    user-space is creating those inodes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.022 / U:102.396 seconds]