    SubjectRe: VIA 686 timer bugfix incomplete
    On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:30:52PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Me thinks the real solution is the ACPI pm timer. 3 times the
    > > resolution of the PIT and you can not stop it. The high-res-timers
    > > patch will allow you to use this as the time keeper and just use the PIT
    > > to generate interrupts.
    > For awkward boxes you can use the PIT, for good boxes we can use rdtsc or
    > eventually the ACPI timers when running with ACPI

    The problem is that we use PIT even together with TSC because we need to
    know how much time passed since last interrupt to be able to synchronize
    the TSC with possibly delayed timer interrupts and TSC doesn't tell us
    that ... but hopefully this can be done with some kind of PLL ...

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.024 / U:0.060 seconds]