    SubjectRe: Large files and filesystem block size
    > > I'm setting up a server serving large >=1GB files. I spoke to this guy
    > > that just finished his PhD on the subject
    > > ( , and he said he'd managed to
    > > increase the throughput by using a 64kB block size on the files system.
    > > This testing was done on NetBSD (as far as I can remember).
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a file system that supports large files, large
    > > filesystems and large block sizes?

    > Linux doesn't support larger block size than page size (ie. 4 KB on i386).

    Is this limit the indepandant of file system type?

    > > Does any of you have any theories if his practice in using larger block
    > > sizes will have the same impact on performance in Linux as it had in BSD?

    > I think performance will improve but only for large files (but that's
    > probably what you want).

    As I'm writing above, the files I'm talking of are typically 1-10GB. So
    yes - this is what I want.

    Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

    Computers are like air conditioners.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.020 / U:9.176 seconds]