    SubjectRe: ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs
    On Nov 07, 2001  20:44 +0000, James A Sutherland wrote:
    > On Wednesday 07 November 2001 7:38 pm, Ville Herva wrote:
    > > On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:31:24PM +0000, you [James A Sutherland] claimed:
    > > > Hm.. after a decidedly unclean shutdown, I decided to force an fsck here
    > > > and my ext3 partition DID have two inode errors on fsck... (Having said
    > > > that, the last entry in syslog was from the SCSI driver, and ext3's
    > > > journalling probably doesn't help much when the disk it's on goes
    > > > AWOL...)
    > >
    > > A stupid question: does ext3 replay the journal before fsck? If not, the
    > > inode errors would be expected...
    > Yes, it does: this was AFTER the journal replay. And yes, it was ext3 not
    > ext2 mounting it (well, either that or ext2 has learned to do journal
    > replays...).

    Actuall, e2fsck can also do the journal replay, so depending on whether this
    is the root fs or not, it may be that you get a journal replay and still
    mount it as ext2...

    > So, AFTER a journal replay, there were still two damaged inodes
    > - which sounds like Anton's problem. Maybe ext3 just hates Cambridge? :-)

    Well, if you had a SCSI error, then it may be that the fs marked an error
    in the superblock, which would force a full fsck also.

    Note also, that it is often normal to have "orphaned inodes" cleaned up when
    the journal is cleaned up. This is not an error. I normally have these on
    my system because of PCMCIA cardmgr creating device inodes in /tmp and then
    unlinking them immediately after opening them.

    If you have an open but unlinked file, then ext3 will delete this file at
    mount/fsck time (unlike reiserfs which leaves it around wasting space).
    Did you actually get files in lost+found, or only the orphaned inode

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.024 / U:6.492 seconds]