SubjectRe: ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs
On Nov 07, 2001  19:40 +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> Yes, that makes a lot of sense. After the reset I went into my own kernel
> with both ext2 and ext3 compiled into it. However, before the reboot, I was
> still in the RH kernel (99% sure it was so, but my memory might be
> deceiving me).
>
> Is there any Right Way(TM) to fix this situation considering I want to have
> both ext2 and ext3 in my kernels (apart from the obvious of changing the
> order fs are called during root mount in the kernel)?

If both ext2 and ext3 are compiled into the kernel, then ext3 will try first
to mount the root fs. If there is no journal on this fs (check this with
tune2fs -l <dev>, and look for "has_journal" feature), then it will be
mounted as ext2. If you are doing strange things with initrd and modules,
then there is more chance to have problems.

I don't know why you would want to go back to ext2 if you have ext3 in your
kernel, but if so, there is a patch to add a "rootfstype" parameter which
allows you to select the fstype to try and mount your root fs as. It looks
like it is in Linus' 2.4.13 kernel at least (don't know when it went in).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger