    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: /proc standards (was dot-proc interface [was: /proc

    --On Wednesday, November 07, 2001 2:20 AM -0500 "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:

    > I can see that you are unfamiliar with the /proc filesystem.
    >
    > You can change kernels because app developers work hard to
    > be tolerant of stupid /proc changes.
    > Some of the crap that
    > I've stumbled across, mostly while doing procps work:

    My point is two-fold:

    1. Sure, you (and no doubt others) had to do lots
    of work fixing userland, which
    you shouldn't have had to do. But that seems to be
    more down to lack of discipline in interface changes
    rather than because the interface isn't binary. I am
    sure it's easier to strip out a spurious 'kb' that
    gets added after a number, than to deal with (say)
    an extra inserted DWORD with no version traching.

    2. The system survived. The interface was there. Bload
    sweat and tears were no doubt expended, possibly by
    the wrong people, but in practice the interface worked,
    (no, not optimally). I'd suggest even with it's badly
    managed changes, thouse have been less disruptive than
    many other non-ascii based conventions (I'm thinking
    back to Net-2E/2D). Sure, wtmp, utmp have been stable.
    Not sufficiently familiar with process accounting or
    quotas, though I have some possibly incorrect memory
    of the latter suffering some format change which was
    generated compatibility problems with user space tools?

    --
    Alex Bligh