    SubjectRe: ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs
    At 20:25 07/11/2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    >On Nov 07, 2001 19:40 +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
    > > Yes, that makes a lot of sense. After the reset I went into my own kernel
    > > with both ext2 and ext3 compiled into it. However, before the reboot, I
    > was
    > > still in the RH kernel (99% sure it was so, but my memory might be
    > > deceiving me).
    > >
    > > Is there any Right Way(TM) to fix this situation considering I want to
    > have
    > > both ext2 and ext3 in my kernels (apart from the obvious of changing the
    > > order fs are called during root mount in the kernel)?
    >
    >If both ext2 and ext3 are compiled into the kernel, then ext3 will try first
    >to mount the root fs. If there is no journal on this fs (check this with
    >tune2fs -l <dev>, and look for "has_journal" feature), then it will be
    >mounted as ext2. If you are doing strange things with initrd and modules,
    >then there is more chance to have problems.

    Will check. Thanks for info.

    >I don't know why you would want to go back to ext2 if you have ext3 in your
    >kernel, but if so, there is a patch to add a "rootfstype" parameter which
    >allows you to select the fstype to try and mount your root fs as. It looks
    >like it is in Linus' 2.4.13 kernel at least (don't know when it went in).

    Well one good reason is I don't trust ext3 because it is new and I haven't
    used it before. (You can call me paranoid all you want...) Before I start
    trusting it with my really important data, I would rather use ext3 for a
    while on /, /usr and other non-important partitions (they can be
    reinstalled, /home cannot...)

    Anton

    --
    "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
    Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/