SubjectAthlon Bug Stomper Success Reports for 2.4.14

My Athlon Thunderbird has been happily compiling kernels for over 24 hours
straight using 2.4.14 with an Athlon-optimized kernel. It could not do this
in many past kernels and I believe the code snippet offered in September is
working nicely. There was a long thread about this back then, but I haven't
seen any Athlon problem reports between that time and now. For the lurkers on
the list, and the benefit of archives, could we please record a few successes?

If you are using an Athlon with 2.4.14 and you previously had problems but now
have stability with an Athlon optimized, kernel, please respond. (Just a few
people, please.)

Oh, hardware is Tyan Trinity KT-A (S2390B) with Athlon Thunderbird 1.2Ghz,
512M Crucial PC133 Cas2 RAM, many drives..etc.

My sincere appreciation and thanks to all that were involved in tracking this
down and making the fix possible.

/*
* Nobody seems to know what this does. Damn.
*
* But it does seem to fix some unspecified problem
* with 'movntq' copies on Athlons.
*
* VIA 8363 chipset:
* - bit 7 at offset 0x55: Debug (RW)
*/
static void __init pci_fixup_via_athlon_bug(struct pci_dev *d)
{
u8 v;
pci_read_config_byte(d, 0x55, &v);
if (v & 0x80) {
printk("Trying to stomp on Athlon bug...\n");
v &= 0x7f; /* clear bit 55.7 */
pci_write_config_byte(d, 0x55, v);
}
}