    SubjectRe: Using %cr2 to reference "current"
    > Is using %cr2 really faster than the old implementation, or is there
    > another reason? It seems that the alignment constraints on the stack
    > still remains, since the %esp solution still remains in places...

    The stack is no longer aligned. We allocate two pages and disturb the stack
    by upto 1.5K. We slab the task structs.

    > It might also be worth considering a segment-register based
    > implementation instead. The reason we're not using %fs and %gs in the
    > kernel anymore is because of the setup slowness, but perhaps using
    > them (use %fs since it's much more likely to be NULL and thus faster
    > to restore) would be faster than using %cr2?

    It may be. Likewise its not clear if %cr2 should hold current or a cpu ident
    pointer (so you dont reload on switch of task). This needs more
    benchmarking. Its in current -ac to verify the theory is correct not the
    tuning.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.027 / U:0.008 seconds]