    SubjectRe: Poor IDE performance with VIA MVP3
    On Monday 05 November 2001 06:50, Ryan Hayle wrote:
    > I have a VIA MVP3 (VT82C586B) controller on my motherboard, and am
    > experiencing extremely poor performance with a Maxtor 20G
    > (52049U4) drive. It is an UDMA66-capable drive, but I'm only attempting
    > to use UDMA33 (with an 80-pin cable, as recommended).
    > The drive is detected and works just fine, with no errors reported,
    > however the acces is painfully slow. hdparm -t varries from 970 K/sec to
    > 2.5 M/sec. (See below)

    Are you saying that hdparm -T -t is yielding wildly varying results?
    Looks similar to failing hd symptoms or bug in IDE layer causing retries
    after error/timeout. What's in the logs?

    > The drive is attached by itself to the first IDE channel. On the second I
    > have a Maxtor 6.8G (90680D4) and a CDROM. hdparm -t on the second drive
    > typically gives 8-9 M/sec. I manually set this drive with hdparm -X34
    > (mdma2), otherwise it generates errors.
    > I have tried Linux 2.2.19, 2.4.12, and now 2.4.13, and all exhibit this
    > same behavior. I was originally running with a 40-pin cable, and switched
    > it to the 80 to see if it might help, but it had no effect. As some
    > background information, I was originally running linux off of the second
    > 6G drive, and opted to move it onto the 20G because it got better
    > performance. Once I did this, however, the drive started performing
    > slowly like this, regardless of whether I'm booting to it or the 6G
    > drive.
    > Does this sound like it's just a hardware problem? Has anyone experienced
    > anything similar to this? Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

    Well, I had problems with drives refusing to do [u]dma.
    On my home machine I found out that compiling kernel with support for VIA
    chipset allowed udma to work ok (hdparm -T -t = ~20mb/s). Without that
    support, my hd was stuck in pio, ~6mb/s.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.044 / U:4.056 seconds]