    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]
    Alexander Viro writes:

    > Folks, could we please deep-six the "ASCII is tough" mentality?

    Sure. How about:
    It's a PITA to break out the dragon book, bloat sucks,
    and I'd just rather not have to write the code.

    I also like:
    Trusting every little status app to not have exploitable
    buffer overruns is worrisome.

    The more serious problem:
    ASCII formats change in unpredictable ways. (see below)

    > Idea of
    > native-endian data is so broken that it's not even funny. Exercise:
    > try to export such thing over the network.

    Ooh! You're making /proc NFS exportable?

    > Another one: try to use
    > that in a shell script. One more: try to do it portably in Perl script.

    FOO=`ps -o foo= -p $$` # Get our FOO value out of binary /proc

    > It had been tried. Many times. It had backfired 100 times out 100.
    > We have the same idiocy to thank for fun trying to move a disk with UFS
    > volume from Solaris sparc to Solaris x86.

    Disks are slow, so native endian UFS was indeed a poor choice.

    > We have the same idiocy to
    > thank for a lot of ugliness in X.

    This was a necessary performance hack. Hopefully nobody wrote
    an X server or client that would do conditional byte swaps
    all over the code.

    > At the very least, use canonical bytesex and field sizes. Anything less
    > is just begging for trouble. And in case of procfs or its equivalents,
    > _use_ the_ _damn_ _ASCII_ _representations_. scanf(3) is there for
    > purpose.

    SigCgt in /proc/self/status wasn't always spelled that way.
    It wasn't always in the same location either. ASCII bites
    because people can't resist screwing with it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.067 / U:6.004 seconds]