SubjectRe: Ext2 directory index, updated
On November 4, 2001 11:24 pm, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On November 4, 2001 11:09 pm, Christian Laursen wrote:
> > Daniel Phillips <> writes:
> > However, when I accidentally killed the uml, it left me with an unclean
> > filesystem which fsck refuses to touch because it has unsupported
> >
> > Even the latest version does this.
> >
> > Is there a patch for fsck, that fixes this somewhere?
> [...]
> There is an easy way to turn that FEATURE_COMPAT flag back off so you can
> fsck, but I don't know it and I should.

It's debug2fs, details to come.

The COMPAT_FEATURE thing is a problem, we *are* supposed to be able to fsck
a volume that has indexed directories on it with old versions of fsck, and
it's only the COMPAT_FEATURE flag that prevents this. You tried fsck -f
and it didn't work, right?

For using the -o index option on a non-throwaway volume, we should do this:

void ext2_add_compat_feature (struct super_block *sb, unsigned feature)
+ return;
if (!EXT2_HAS_COMPAT_FEATURE(sb, feature))
And afterwards you can rm -rf your test directory, though actually normal
ext2 shouldn't see anything unusual about it. The real reason for rm'ing the
test directory is so that I can tweak the index format in upcoming prerelease

I've disabled the add_compat_feature here for now, because until fsck can
handle it, it just causes trouble. I'll go read Andreas' writeup on the
COMPAT flags again and see if I can come up with a more friendly