    SubjectRe: Ext2 directory index, updated
    On November 4, 2001 11:24 pm, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > On November 4, 2001 11:09 pm, Christian Laursen wrote:
    > > Daniel Phillips <> writes:
    > > However, when I accidentally killed the uml, it left me with an unclean
    > > filesystem which fsck refuses to touch because it has unsupported
    > >
    > > Even the latest version does this.
    > >
    > > Is there a patch for fsck, that fixes this somewhere?
    > [...]
    > There is an easy way to turn that FEATURE_COMPAT flag back off so you can
    > fsck, but I don't know it and I should.

    It's debug2fs, details to come.

    The COMPAT_FEATURE thing is a problem, we *are* supposed to be able to fsck
    a volume that has indexed directories on it with old versions of fsck, and
    it's only the COMPAT_FEATURE flag that prevents this. You tried fsck -f
    and it didn't work, right?

    For using the -o index option on a non-throwaway volume, we should do this:

    void ext2_add_compat_feature (struct super_block *sb, unsigned feature)
    + return;
    if (!EXT2_HAS_COMPAT_FEATURE(sb, feature))

    And afterwards you can rm -rf your test directory, though actually normal
    ext2 shouldn't see anything unusual about it. The real reason for rm'ing the
    test directory is so that I can tweak the index format in upcoming prerelease

    I've disabled the add_compat_feature here for now, because until fsck can
    handle it, it just causes trouble. I'll go read Andreas' writeup on the
    COMPAT flags again and see if I can come up with a more friendly

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.049 / U:4.780 seconds]