SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jak writes:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 04:12:23PM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>> You are looking for something called the registry. It's something
>> that was introduced with Windows 95. It's basically a filesystem
>> with typed files: char, int, string, string array, etc.
> Nope :)
> It does not have "char, int, string, string array, etc." it
> has "String, binary and DWORD".

I'm pretty sure that newer implementations have additional types.
BTW, we could call the persistent part of our registry "reiserfs4".

> Imagine every field in a file by itself, with well-defined type
> information and unit informaiton.

I suppose I could print a warning if the type or unit info
isn't what was expected. That's insignificantly useful.

Individual files are nice, until you realize: open, read, close

> Performance is one thing. Not being able to know whether
> numbers are i32, u32, u64, or measured in Kilobytes or
> carrots is another ting.

I don't see what the code is supposed to do if it was expecting
kilobytes and you serve it carrots. Certainly nothing useful can
be done when this happens.