    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]
    Date
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jak writes:
    > On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 04:12:23PM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

    >> You are looking for something called the registry. It's something
    >> that was introduced with Windows 95. It's basically a filesystem
    >> with typed files: char, int, string, string array, etc.
    >
    > Nope :)
    >
    > It does not have "char, int, string, string array, etc." it
    > has "String, binary and DWORD".

    I'm pretty sure that newer implementations have additional types.
    BTW, we could call the persistent part of our registry "reiserfs4".

    > Imagine every field in a file by itself, with well-defined type
    > information and unit informaiton.

    I suppose I could print a warning if the type or unit info
    isn't what was expected. That's insignificantly useful.

    Individual files are nice, until you realize: open, read, close

    > Performance is one thing. Not being able to know whether
    > numbers are i32, u32, u64, or measured in Kilobytes or
    > carrots is another ting.

    I don't see what the code is supposed to do if it was expecting
    kilobytes and you serve it carrots. Certainly nothing useful can
    be done when this happens.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.030 / U:2.020 seconds]