    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > > irritate the oftes so called "maintainer". Two expierences:
    > > ftape and mcd I'm through....
    > I timed the mcd maintainer out and tidied it anyway. I figured since it
    > wasnt being maintained nobody would scream too loudly - nobody has

    Wenn sorry for the missconception I wanted to insult *you*, my expierenc
    in regard to this is even older...

    > > BTW.> ftape (for the pascal emulation) and DAC960
    > ftape is an awkward one. Really the newer ftape4 wants merging into the
    > kernel but that should have happened a long time ago

    It diverged too much from what's in the kernel since about already 3-4
    And I don't think that it's that much better in terms of implementation
    Fortunately all those floppy interface iomega streamers are
    physically obsolete by now. Plese notice that ftape4 is using a
    different storage format, well this is due to the fact that the
    ftape inside the kernel wasn't up to the corresponding standard

    > > serial.c is another one for the whole multiport support which
    > > may be used by maybe 0.1% of the Linux users thrown on them all
    > > and some "magic" number silliness as well...
    > serial.c is a good example of the "ugly" that actually matters more, as is
    > floppy.c. Clean well formatted code that is stil opaque.

    floppy.c is indeed one of the best compiler test cases around there.
    But personally I would excuse floppy.c a bit becouse it's dealing with
    a really awkward controller interface ;-).
    serial.c should be hooked at the misc char device interface sooner or
    But somehow this never happened becouse nobody dared to care enough.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.047 / U:0.904 seconds]