    SubjectRe: IDE controller detection 2.4 +devfs
    On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:11:21 -0700
    Richard Gooch <> wrote:

    > But it is actually predictable, isn't it? Think of it this way: the
    > IDE subsystem reserves "slots" (host numbers) for installed hardware.
    > If a piece of hardware is disabled in the BIOS, it doesn't mean that
    > the slot won't be reserved.

    It would be nice if it would be that way - se below.

    > > (All info from my very first mail ...)
    > >
    > > The other bug is: On a Athlon-600 workstation based on an Irongate
    > > board (Asus-K7M) I have to disable the first (primarry) channel of
    > > the onbaord IDE controller, because it has problem with the UDMA-66
    > > mode. But when I disable this channel, Linux generates a /dev/ide/host1
    > > entry - No host0 entry is there. Sure it works - but sucks, too!
    > > (Generates a very unstable feeling in me ...)
    > The "host0" entry isn't shown, because it is disabled. But to say
    > "when I disable this channel, Linux generates a /dev/ide/host1" isn't
    > correct, and implies a problem where there isn't. The correct way to
    > describe this is:
    > "host0" is my primary onboard IDE controller. It might not appear if I
    > disable it.
    > "host1" is my secondary onboard IDE controller. It has the same name
    > whether or not I disable the primary.

    No!!!! On the Althon box:
    - nothing disabled in BIOS:
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/ - on-board primary channel
    /deV/ide/host0/bus1/ - on-board secondary channel

    - when I disable the primary channel I get this:
    /dev/ide/host1/bus1/ - on-board secondary channel

    So as you can see it moves!! From host0 to host1!

    > And this is a Feature[tm]. It means that tomorrow when a shiny new
    > drive arrives, you can plug it into your primary channel and enable
    > the channel in the BIOS. You can then boot without having to fix your
    > /etc/fstab, because /dev/ide/host1 is still pointing to the same
    > devices.

    Yes that is a really cool advantage I now for months (over a year!)!
    But here is the next example again:

    The K6 server (on-board ALI-Aladin-5 + PCI-Card Promisse controller):

    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/ - on-board primary channel
    /dev/ide/host0/bus1/ - on-board secondary channel
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/ - Promisse primary channel
    /dev/ide/host2/bus1/ - Promisse secondarychannel

    So where is host1 ??????

    (Maybe I should switch back to Mew as MUA to not let kernel-hackers
    see the Sylpheed string in the mail-header :-((()

    > The only thing that confuses me is why the secondary onboard channel
    > is /dev/ide/host1 rather than /dev/ide/host0/bus1.

    Only when disabled in the bios (but PLEASE look at the nice lists above

    > Regards,
    > Richard....
    > Permanent:
    > Current:

    k33p h4ck1n6

    René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #127875 <>)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.052 / U:8.016 seconds]