    SubjectRe: Multiplexing filesystem
    Mark Richards wrote:
    > Quick question, which I suspect has a long answer.
    > I would like to write a multiplexing filesystem. The idea is as follows:
    > The filesystem would ideally wrap another filesystem, such as nfs or smbfs or
    > ext2. Most operations would just be passed to the native fs call. However, for
    > some files, selectable at run time by some control singal, would actually reside
    > on another file system. The other filesystem would have to be mounted.
    > The idea is for a version controlling filesystem. The server would be a network
    > server (hence the desire to wrap nfs) which presents a 'view' of the source
    > code. When the user reserves a file for editing, the file is copied to the
    > local disk. From that point on, the local file is referred to until the user
    > commits the change or unreserves the file. Ideally, the local copy of the file
    > could be on any file system, not one that is necessarily local. And this has to
    > be totally transparent to the user, except for the step where the user
    > 'reserves' the file.

    Coda already do what you want:
    Files are kept on a server, and copied to your local disk when
    you use it. You may even disconnect when working on the local
    copy - your changes will be propagated back to the server
    whenever you reconnect to the network.
    The copying is indeed completely transparent.

    If you need reservation - use the permission system.
    A suid program simply makes _you_ owner, and only
    the owner gets write permission. This is your check-out
    program. Check-in consists of changing ownership
    back to root (or some userid allocated to the versioning system)

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.041 / U:42.196 seconds]