    SubjectRe: 2.4.15-pre1: "bogus" message with reiserfs root and other weirdness
    On 27 Nov 2001, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:

    > davidsen@tmr.com (bill davidsen) writes:

    > > | To be complete we should also apply this patch.
    > >
    > > To be totally honest I think this is the wrong way to go. Like masking
    > > the symptoms instead of treating the disease. The problem is that the
    > > FAT driver seems to not check f/s type before claiming a f/s as its own.
    > > The better solution is to put in a check before going forward with using
    > > the f/s as FAT.
    >
    > FAT doesn't have the field like the magic number, AFAIK.

    Actually the original poster used "magic" and I didn't quibble, but I
    believe you're right. I just noted that it is better to check to see if
    the filesystem is FAT before reporting the error message. Obviously this
    can be done, since you don't get the message with FAT as a module, I just
    haven't looked to see if the check is in the module or the kernel before
    even loading the FAT module.

    Thanks for noting that, in any case.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>