    SubjectRe: 2.4.15-pre1: "bogus" message with reiserfs root and other weirdness
    From
    In article <E166e8A-0000t2-00@mrvdom02.schlund.de> linux-kernel@borntraeger.net wrote:
    | > > Machine booted ok and everything seemed to be ok, but i noticed a few
    | > > weird messages in boot messages right before mounting the root-partition:
    | > > FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
    | > > FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
    | > When the kernel is booting, it doesn't know the filesystem type of the
    | > root fs, so it tries to mount the root device using all of the compiled-in
    | > fs drivers, in the order they are listed in fs/Makefile.in.
    | > It appears that the fat driver doesn't even check for a magic when it
    | > starts trying to mount the filesystem, so it proceeds directly to
    |
    | To be complete we should also apply this patch.

    To be totally honest I think this is the wrong way to go. Like masking
    the symptoms instead of treating the disease. The problem is that the
    FAT driver seems to not check f/s type before claiming a f/s as its own.
    The better solution is to put in a check before going forward with using
    the f/s as FAT.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    His first management concern is not solving the problem, but covering