    SubjectAsync UDP I/O?
    I have been looking for some information on what the Linux kernel offers in
    regard to async UDP traffic but haven't had much luck so I thought I would
    throw this out to the list.

    I work for a software company that make software MCUs (Multipoint control
    units - Video Conferencing). In a pure sense they are simply media routers
    which handle almost exclusively UDP traffic. We currently run under Linux,
    Solaris and Windows but because of the lack of any real asynchronous UDP
    mechanisms in Linux or Solaris we are getting the best performance on our
    Windows boxes. There are a lot of *NIX guys around here (including me) who
    don't like that Windows takes the cake. We are working with Sun on improving
    the async UDP in Solaris 9 but haven't had any real success yet.

    Currently we do the same thing in Linux that we do for Solaris; open up
    threads for the UDP traffic and have them wait for the data. This obviously
    leads to rather poor performance. I know a lot more about the specifics of
    our Solaris issues but I assume they apply to Linux as well. Currently
    Windows gives us the ability to send out packets asynchronously and then
    report to us where the packets have gone. Along with that when data is
    received it can be copied directly from the kernel to our app. For our other
    OSes it needs to be copied into user space and then into our app.

    I don't really know of any answers right now but I would love to hear back
    from anyone about what we might be able to do with this. We don't have
    nearly the resources we used to so we might be over looking some facilities
    offered in the 2.4 kernel that weren't in the 2.2 so I would love to hear

    Brian Raymond

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.022 / U:5.144 seconds]