    SubjectRe: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]
    David Weinehall wrote:

    >>Oh, and yes, if you settle on a naming scheme, *please* let me know
    >>ahead of time so I can update the scripts to track it, rather than
    >>finding out by having hundreds of complaints in my mailbox...
    >>

    > I for one used the -pre and -pre-final naming for the v2.0.39-series,
    > and I'll probably use the same naming for the final pre-patch of
    > v2.0.40, _unless_ there's some sort of agreement on another naming
    > scheme. I'd be perfectly content with using the -rc naming for the
    > final instead. The important thing is not the naming itself, but
    > consistency between the different kernel-trees.

    Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
    scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
    that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
    -pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
    candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
    shame in needing more than one release candidate.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.044 / U:300.416 seconds]