SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.16-pre1
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:34:49 +0100
Dominik Kubla <kubla@sciobyte.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 04:39:15PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > - Correctly sync inodes in iput() (Alexander Viro)
>
> Given the fact that this bug in a presumably stable linux kernel is
> getting quite some attention in the media (electronic and otherwise). It
> would be prudent to get out a 2.4.16 which fixes this bug right about
> now.

The "problem" effectively arises from _fast_ releasing "stable" versions. I
tend to think there should be a slowdown, not a speedup in stable releases,
just because the weird bugs we saw lately were all found shortly after release.
Maybe it would be a good idea to declare a good-looking pre-version "stable"
after a week delay (for testing) or so, omitting further patches.
I think there is no need to fear "bad" media appearance. It's just what makes
the difference: we try to solve the problem in case one is found _and_ talk
frankly about it. No need to hide.
It isn't really the same as shooting down XP/W2K/NT by type'ing a text-file in
a console-window...

Regards,
Stephan

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans