    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.16-pre1
    On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:34:49 +0100
    Dominik Kubla <> wrote:

    > On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 04:39:15PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
    > > - Correctly sync inodes in iput() (Alexander Viro)
    > Given the fact that this bug in a presumably stable linux kernel is
    > getting quite some attention in the media (electronic and otherwise). It
    > would be prudent to get out a 2.4.16 which fixes this bug right about
    > now.

    The "problem" effectively arises from _fast_ releasing "stable" versions. I
    tend to think there should be a slowdown, not a speedup in stable releases,
    just because the weird bugs we saw lately were all found shortly after release.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to declare a good-looking pre-version "stable"
    after a week delay (for testing) or so, omitting further patches.
    I think there is no need to fear "bad" media appearance. It's just what makes
    the difference: we try to solve the problem in case one is found _and_ talk
    frankly about it. No need to hide.
    It isn't really the same as shooting down XP/W2K/NT by type'ing a text-file in
    a console-window...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.021 / U:3.352 seconds]