    Subjectre: Kernel Releases
    David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:
    > With the recent problems, the working
    > versions tend to be the -pre1 or -pre2 releases, not the released
    > one. With a bit of QA, I think we can have 2.4.x releases be the stable
    > releases. Here's how...
    >
    > When the kernel maintainer, now Marcelo for 2.4, is ready to release the
    > next kernel, for example 2.4.16, I suggest he switch from "pre?" to "-rc1"
    > (as in release candidate). A day or two with -rc1 will quickly show if it
    > has a show stopper. If so, then the minor fixes (and nothing else) go into
    > -rc2. A day or two ..., and either -rc3 appears or we have a stable
    > release and 2.4.16 is ready to be released.
    >
    > Let's go the extra distance and have the releases be usable, stable
    > kernels! It's what users want and it's within the abilities of the
    > developers to produce. Let's do it :-)

    Hear, hear!

    Also, Marcelo should get in touch with the nice folks at stp@osdlab.org
    and find out what sort of regression tests they will be running on
    his kernels. Perhaps he can wait for their feedback on the -rcX
    kernels before declaring them final. (Not that they would have
    found the 2.4.15 problem with their current tests, but they'll
    catch a few things.)

    - Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.022 / U:2.568 seconds]