    SubjectRe: Which gcc version?
    On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, J Sloan wrote:

    > > What are they going to do about gcc 3.0.x? It'll be amusing to watch.
    > Not sure you mean "what are they going to do"
    > since gcc 3.0.x is included in redhat 7.2 - could
    > you explain about the amusing part?

    I got into a long argument with someone from Redhat, who suggested that I
    read too many ./ postings, and gained my opinion of gcc 2.96 as shipped in
    7.0 from that.

    Where my opinion of it was formed by running it on my laptop for T&E for
    two weeks, and having about a 25% success ratio of compiling code under
    it. Well, okay ... 50% for compilation, and of that, 50% running without
    catching on fire.

    In that conversation, he assured me that RH would take every measure to
    ensure that future releases were compatible with code generated under

    So, it could be amusing ...

    -- John E. Jasen (
    -- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.020 / U:43.928 seconds]