SubjectRe: Input/output error
Andreas Dilger wrote:

> I take it that this is after a normal shutdown where you are sure that
> the filesystem was unmounted cleanly? It looks like a case where these
> files are deleted, but held open by a process.

It's a normal shutdown, every filesystem is unmounted cleanly, no
complains from the os.

> Could you please try the following:
> - "telinit 1" to change into single user mode
> - make sure all of the above processes are stopped (check via ps, and
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/foo stop" for each one
> - "lsof | grep /var" to see if any files are still open on /var
> - umount /var
> - e2fsck -f /dev/hdX

There are a few processes running: news, something called minilgd.Even
with these programs running lsof shows no output. If I kill these
programs and make a normal shutdown, it loocked much better. Only a
complain about the keyboard lock.

If I acted exactly like your advise, there is no problem with the restart.

The processes running in 2.4.15 single user mode are exactly the same as
in 2.4.14.