SubjectRe: i386 flags register clober in inline assembly
Followup to:  <>
By author: Jan Hubicka <>
In newsgroup:
> Actually the main dificulty I see is storing cc0 to variable. CC0 is hard
> register and pretty strange one - you can't move it, you can't spill. Using
> the syntax above you can easilly make cc0 from asm statement to span another
> cc0 set resulting in incorrect code or compiler crash.
> (the code generator may insert any code in between statements as it don't
> know he can't clobber cc0. In fact this is happening in from of if
> construct as deffered stack deallocators are flushed).

Why can't you move or spill it? There are a whole lot of ways you
could do either: pushf, sahf, setcc...

<> at work, <> in private!
"Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>