    SubjectRe: Devlinks. Code. (Dcache abuse?)
    >    A device special file is a gateway between a user (admin)
    > controlled name space (the filesystem) and a kernel imposed name
    > space (major/minor numbers) that recognises and imposes access
    > control (owner/group/permissions).
    > The (a) problem with this is that major/minor numbers are too limited,

    Textual names have unsolved problems too
    1. Who administers the namespace
    2. When trademarks get entangled whats the disputes procedure

    Do you want to create a situation where a future kernel is likely to be
    forced to change a device naming because an "official" vendor driver appears
    too and they demand the namespace and wave trademarks around ?

    > A Devlink looks like a symlink with the "sticky" (S_ISVTX) bit set.
    > Indeed, that is how it is stored on a filesystem.

    That seems basically sound. I'm not sure about the devfs part but that
    is a seperate matter.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.022 / U:9.752 seconds]