    SubjectBug in ext3
    I recently compiled support for ext3 into the kernel (2.4.15-pre4) and
    booted that kernel onto a system that didn't have any ext3 partitions.
    On boot I got these messages:

    JBD: no valid journal superblock found
    JBD: no valid journal superblock found
    EXT3-fs: error loading journal.

    This was when it mounted the root filesystem. After several minutes of
    disk activity on /, I got this:

    EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,20)): ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 4294965248, count = 6872

    Then it was mounted ro. Nothing happened to any of the other partitions
    (including the 250gig RAID partition, just the root partition. I am
    assuming that even though it was not an ext3 partition, that the ext3
    driver took control of it. I tried fsck and remount,rw, but the problem
    kept occuring (although with a different message about when removing a
    file that the bit was already cleared).

    Rebuilding without ext3 solves the symptoms, but of course not the real

    / Ben Collins -- Debian GNU/Linux \
    ` -- -- '

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.033 / U:87.932 seconds]