SubjectRe: 2.4.9 to 2.4.14 bug & workaround
Peter Wächtler schrieb am Dienstag, den 13. November 2001:

> On the IDE I mount /dev/hdb, on the USB thing I mount sd[ab]4
> depending if the flash reader is there or not.
> Hmh?

Do these behave differently? In particular, do the IDE Zip drives hide
the partition structure...

> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdb4 1 1536 98288 6 FAT16

...which is evidently there?

> Until now I thought it had something to do with the different gendisk,
> LDM or so.

Well, you may also see firmware and/or design flaws in the drive
(personally, I have never trusted iomega, because on the CeBIT fair in
Hannover, I once asked them "why should I prefer iomega ZIP or JAZ over
SyQuest" and they had no answer except "we're just better". I later
heard complaints about the SCSI ID only to be chosen from 5 or 6, 25-pin
SCSI connectors and stuff, then there was the click-of-death sabotage
and now there is your "partition entry or not" problem.)

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/zip/zip-1.html has some info which does
not look too promising when you're after consistent behaviour across the
various drive types (interface-wise, that is).

Judging from what's on that page, the IDE driver seems to know it's just
a "floppy" without partitions, but the USB driver sees the (fake)
partitions.

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin