SubjectRe: Changed message for GPLONLY symbols
It was a dark and stormy night.  Suddenly "Alex Bligh - linux-kernel" <linux-kernel@alex.org.uk> began to type:

> Keith,
>
> --On Tuesday, November 13, 2001 1:50 PM +1100 Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
> > and it has unresolved symbols. The module may be trying to access
> > GPLONLY symbols but the problem is more likely to be a coding or
> > user error. Contact the module supplier for assistance.
> >
> > Does anyone think that this message can be misunderstood by anybody
> > with the "intelligence" of the normal Windoze user?
>
> Yes I think it can be misunderstood, and, perhaps more importantly, still
> points the user at GPLONLY when it's more likely to be a straightforward
> version mismatch. Better might be:
>
> Hint: You are trying to load a module which has unresolved symbols. These
> symbols may not be exported by this version of the kernel (perhaps
> you have a version mismatch), or they may be exported GPLONLY,
> (in which case they will not be available to your module which does
> not carry a GPL compatible license). In either case, contact
> the *only* module supplier for assistance; no one else can help you.

Tommy Reynolds | mailto: <reynolds@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc., Embedded Development Services | Phone: +1.256.704.9286
307 Wynn Drive NW, Huntsville, AL 35805 USA | FAX: +1.256.837.3839
Senior Software Developer | Mobile: +1.919.641.2923

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans