    SubjectRe: Changed message for GPLONLY symbols
    It was a dark and stormy night.  Suddenly "Alex Bligh - linux-kernel" <> began to type:

    > Keith,
    > --On Tuesday, November 13, 2001 1:50 PM +1100 Keith Owens <>
    > wrote:
    > > Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
    > > and it has unresolved symbols. The module may be trying to access
    > > GPLONLY symbols but the problem is more likely to be a coding or
    > > user error. Contact the module supplier for assistance.
    > >
    > > Does anyone think that this message can be misunderstood by anybody
    > > with the "intelligence" of the normal Windoze user?
    > Yes I think it can be misunderstood, and, perhaps more importantly, still
    > points the user at GPLONLY when it's more likely to be a straightforward
    > version mismatch. Better might be:
    > Hint: You are trying to load a module which has unresolved symbols. These
    > symbols may not be exported by this version of the kernel (perhaps
    > you have a version mismatch), or they may be exported GPLONLY,
    > (in which case they will not be available to your module which does
    > not carry a GPL compatible license). In either case, contact
    > the *only* module supplier for assistance; no one else can help you.

    Tommy Reynolds | mailto: <>
    Red Hat, Inc., Embedded Development Services | Phone: +1.256.704.9286
    307 Wynn Drive NW, Huntsville, AL 35805 USA | FAX: +1.256.837.3839
    Senior Software Developer | Mobile: +1.919.641.2923
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.024 / U:0.364 seconds]