    SubjectRe: Differences between 2.2.x and 2.4.x initrd
    Ben Collins wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 07:50:00AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
    > > Ben Collins <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well, the point being that 2.2.x worked implicitly, and 2.4.x doesn't. I
    > > > don't want to have to tell people who have been using tilo forever and a
    > > > day that they now have to add additional command line to get it to work
    > > > with 2.4.x.
    > >
    > > You don't have to. Just setup linuxrc to echo the right stuff into
    > > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
    > Yeah, which is listed under the "Obsolete" section in
    > Documentation/initrd.txt. The assumption I'm making here is that if
    > /linuxrc fails to execute, it falls back to /sbin/init on the currently
    > mounted root filesystem. Assumptions are bad, but I don't see why it
    > can't work like this. If there is a filesystem already mounted, it
    > should be used.

    Really? I always thought the standard behavior of initrd was "umount
    ramdisk unless" not "umount ramdisk if", implying you need to do
    something special (like root=/dev/ram) to keep the initrd around.

    Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
    Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.
    MandrakeSoft | - nomeansno

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.022 / U:31.664 seconds]