    SubjectTuning Linux for high-speed disk subsystems
    Hi all

    After some testing at Compaq's lab in Oslo, I've come to the conclusion
    that Linux cannot scale higher than about 30-40MB/sec in or out of a
    hardware or software RAID-0 set with several stripe/chunk sizes tried out.
    The set is based on 5 18GB 10k disks running SCSI-3 (160MBps) alone on a
    32bit/33MHz PCI bus.

    After speking to the storage guys here, I was told the problem generally
    was that the OS should send the data requests at 256kB block sizes, as the
    drives (10k) could handle 100 I/O operations per second, and thereby could
    give a total of (256*100)kB/sec per spindle. When using smaller block
    sizes, the speed would decrease in a linear fasion.

    Does anyone know this stuff good enough to help me how to tune the system?
    PS: The CPUs were almost idle during the test. Tested file system was
    ext2.

    Regards

    roy

    --
    Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

    Computers are like air conditioners.