    SubjectRe: test SYN cookies (was Re: SYN cookies security bugfix?)
    Thank you much for the reply.

    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

    > > Is there anyone who has any evidence that SYN cookies do anything in
    > > kernel 2.2.x? If so, how did you get that evidence, because I would
    > > like to reproduce it.
    >
    > They work fine for me in 2.2.19/2.2.20.

    That was reassuring enough that I persisted and found that the problem
    was this: my home-spun SYN-flooder wasn't changing the TCP sequence
    number, and so the "victim" was discarding the packets.

    The three-second pause I observed previously was a red herring that
    went away when I started using separate hosts for flooding and
    connection-testing.

    Now I see a night-and-day difference between with and without SYN
    cookies (although when tcp_max_syn_backlog is set to more than a five
    it takes a long time to fill the queue).

    Thanks again.

    --
    --Ed Cashin PGP public key:
    ecashin@terry.uga.edu http://www.terry.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/