    SubjectRe: graphical swap comparison of aa and rik vm
    On Thursday 01 November 2001 07:10, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Mark Hahn wrote:
    > > also, if you merely sum the SI and SO columns for each:
    > > sum(SI) sum(SO) sum(SI+SO)
    > > Rik-VM 43564 317448 290032
    > > AA-VM 118284 171748 361012
    > > to me, this looks like the same point: Rik being SO-happy,
    > > Andrea having to SI a lot more. interesting also that Andrea wins the
    > > race, in spite of poorer SO choices and more swap traffic overall.
    > I think this is because in safemode's test, the swap space
    > gets exhausted. My VM works better when there is lots of
    > swap space available but degrades in the (rare) case where
    > swap space is exhausted.
    > Testing corner cases always gives interesting results ;)
    > regards,
    > Rik

    In my previous post i mentioned something like that as to why your vm didn't
    perform as well. The thing isn't that you use all of my available memory
    (ram + swap), it's that you allocate it all, leaving nothing for the program
    later on. I think anything that uses almost a gig of ram outside of
    databases is going to be a corner case, but perhaps a better way to figure
    out how much memory should be allocated is needed here. Andrea's vm seems
    to do a good job at that. if only he could figure out a better way to swap
    out pages correctly the first time (as some people say his made more mistakes
    than yours) then i cant really find anything bad about it. And i'm trying

    Also as others pointed out. After the process was done. You had quite a lot
    more swap still allocated. Why exacty?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.024 / U:25.556 seconds]