    SubjectRe: writing a plugin for reiserfs compression
    Andreas Dilger ( wrote*:
    >On Nov 01, 2001 18:14 +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
    >> Novell NetWare has a feature I really like. It's a file compression
    >> feature they've been having since version 4.0 (or 4.10) of the OS.
    >Yes, there is a patch for ext2 that does this as well.

    I just thought there was a patch doing windows nt-like

    >> New attributes must be added somehow. 'ls' and 'find' and perhaps other
    >> files must be modified to take advantage of this. The compression job can
    >> be a simple script with something like
    >> find . -type f ! --compressed ! --dont-compress / -exec fcomp {} \;
    >> (and check can't compress and force compression).

    There already exists a patch for reiserfs which uses the same interface
    to file attributes that ext2 and ext3 use.

    ok? with batched compression?

    >Also, ext2 already has a "compressed", "do not compress", and "dirty"
    >attributes. They are currently not all user modifyable for ext2
    >filesystems via chattr/lsattr, but that doesn't mean they cannot be
    >on reiserfs.
    >> There must be a way to access the compressed files directly to make
    >> backups more efficient - backing up already compressed files's a good
    >> thing.
    >Yes, there is also such an attribute for "raw" access I think.
    >Making the user-space interface and tools as compatible as possible is
    >a good thing, IMHO, just like "ls", "cp", etc all work regardless of
    >the underlying filesystem.

    yes, but it's kinda nice to have some way of checking a file's attributes for a

    >As a note to whoever at namesys created the reiserfs patch to add the
    >"notail" flag (overloading the "nodump" flag). I would much rather
    >that a new "notail" flag be allocated for this. I will contact Ted
    >Ted Ts'o to get a flag assigned. This will avoid any problems in the
    >future, and may also be useful at some time for ext2.

    Do you think the other flags I mentioned may be useful?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.033 / U:63.200 seconds]