    SubjectRe: xircom_cb and promiscious mode
    On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:26:28 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+linux-kernel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

    > I am quite interested in the problems that arise with the xircom
    > cardbus ethernet cards, since I have difficulties with them as well.
    > However, my problems are not solved by setting promisc mode.

    Indeed, this sounds like a very different problem.

    > When I try to transmit larger amounts of data (such as scp'ing a 30 MB
    > file over from a different machine on the LAN), network transfer
    > stalls. I can abort the user space program, but the network link is
    > gone.

    Ok, so let's take a closer look at this. I am mostly interested in the
    behavior of the xircom_tulip_cb from 2.4.13+ and 2.4.12-ac4+ kernels.

    When you say the network link is gone, does it mean the network link light
    on the card is gone? What does mii-tool report?

    Do you get any kernel messages when the networking dies? Any netdev
    transmit timeouts or anything else?

    What are the messages you get from xircom_tulip_cb when it gets
    initialized? [make sure you look at dmesg's output, some syslog
    configurations don't log all kernel messages.]

    Can you run tcpdump on the other side of the scp connection to see what
    exactly is going on?

    > Is it possible that I am doing something wrong?

    It's very unlikely... but possible. :-)

    > 2.4.13-ac5 has the patched xircom_tulip_cb from 2.4.13-pre3?

    It does.

    Thanks,
    Ion

    --
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.