SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5
Date
In article <20011008023118.L726@athlon.random> you wrote:
> You're perfectly right that it's not ok for a generic computing
> environment to spend lots of cpu in polling, but it is clear that in a
> dedicated router/firewall we can just shutdown the NIC interrupt forever via
> disable_irq (no matter if the nic supports hw flow control or not, and
> in turn no matter if the kid tries to spam the machine with small
> packets) and dedicate 1 cpu to the polling-work with ksoftirqd polling
> forever the NIC to deliver maximal routing performance or something like
> that.

Yes, have a look at the work of the Click Modular Router PPL from MIT,
having a Polling Router Module Implementatin which outperforms Linux Kernel
Routing by far (according to their paper :)

You can find the Link to Click somewhere on my Page:
http://www.freefire.org/tools/index.en.php3in the Operating System section
(i think)

I can recommend the click-paper.pdf

Greetings
Bernd

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.140 / U:1.436 seconds]