SubjectDevelopment Setups
Date
As a budding kernel hacker looking to cut my teeth, I've become curious about
what types of setups people hack the kernel with. I am very interested in
descriptions of the computers you hack the kernel with and their use patterns.

I was thinking of starting with a modern machine for developing/compiling on,
and then older machine(s) for testing. This way I would not risk losing data
if I oops or somesuch. Alternately, is there a common practice of using lilo
to create development and testing kernel command lines? Is this a useful
thing to do or is it too much of brain drain to switch between hacking and
testing mindsets?

Instead of having separate machines, there is the possibility of using the
Usermode port. As I understand it this lags behind the -ac and linus kernels
so it would be hard to test things like the new VM's. Usermode would not be
suitable for driver development either. Again, thoughts on this mode of
development?

Which brings me to the final question. Is there any reason to choose
architecture A over architecture B for any reason besides arch-specific
development in the kernel or for device drivers?

AKK

--
Adam K. Keys
<adam.keys@HOTARD.engr.smu.edu> (Remove the HOTARD to email me)