    SubjectRe: Development Setups
    Date

    adam.keys@engr.smu.edu said:
    > I was thinking of starting with a modern machine for developing/
    > compiling on, and then older machine(s) for testing. This way I
    > would not risk losing data if I oops or somesuch.

    With journalling filesystems you needn't worry _too_ much about losing
    data; depending of course on what you're hacking on. Having two separate
    boxen for development and testing is mostly valuable because you can keep
    working when you break it - it doesn't take your entire desktop environment
    down with it.

    adam.keys@engr.smu.edu said:
    > Which brings me to the final question. Is there any reason to choose
    > architecture A over architecture B for any reason besides
    > arch-specific development in the kernel or for device drivers?

    If you're developing device drivers and have the choice, pick something
    esoteric to enforce good behaviour. Something which does out-of-order
    stores, has non-cache-coherent DMA, is big-endian and preferably 64-bit. I
    think both mips64 and sparc64 boards can meet all those criteria - if not,
    get as close as you can.

    --
    dwmw2