    SubjectRe: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?
    On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >Which is why the kernel only allows it when the binary loader itself
    >sets the flag, because security-conscious application writers are
    >already aware of the "oh, a running binary may not be writable" issues.

    One of the methods I tried to use to stop a fork()-bomb was to zero the
    executable in question to force it to crash. No such luck, reboot it was.
    Not that I can think of any other useful application of said behavior.

    George Greer,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.028 / U:44.196 seconds]