    Subject[OT] Module Licensing?
    >> Since your program, which happens to consist of one open
    >> source part and one proprietary part, is partly a derived
    >> work from the kernel source (by using kernel header files
    >> and the inline functions in it) your whole work must be
    >> distributed under the GPL.
    >This is obviously incorrect, that would say that
    > #include <sys/types.h>
    >means my app is now GPLed. Good luck enforcing that.

    Your compiled object module might be a derived work, hence its
    distribution would be restricted by the terms of the GPL version 2.
    Your source code file would not be a derived work (under certain
    currently widely-held assumptions about interface copyrights), and
    hence could be distributed without restriction by the GPL.

    Usual disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

    Craig Milo Rogers

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.019 / U:2.764 seconds]