    SubjectRe: please revert bogus patch to vmscan.c

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Victor Yodaiken wrote:

    > You can't turn off hardware hash-chains on anything past 603, sadly enough.

    Gods, I hope they have reconsidered that in their 64-bit chips. The 32-bit
    hash chains may be ugly, but the architected 32/64-bit MMU stuff is just
    so incredibly baroque that it makes any other MMU look positively
    beautiful ("Segments? Segments shmegments. Big deal").

    I still have the occasional nightmares about the IBM block diagrams
    "explaining" the PowerPC MMU in their technical documentation.

    There's probably a perfectly valid explanation for them, though (*).

    Linus

    (*) Probably along the lines of the designers being so high on LSD that
    they thought it was a really cool idea. That would certainly explain it in
    a very logical fashion.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.049 / U:29.980 seconds]