    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Now test it again with the disk interrupt being shared with the
    > network card.
    > Doesn't happen? It sure does. [...]

    yes, disk IRQs might be delayed in that case. Without this mechanizm there
    is a lockup.

    > Which is why I like the NAPI approach. If somebody overloads my
    > network card, my USB camera doesn't stop working.

    i agree that NAPI is a better approach. And IRQ overload does not happen
    on cards that have hardware-based irq mitigation support already. (and i
    should note that those cards will likely perform even faster with NAPI.)

    > I don't disagree with your patch as a last resort when all else fails,
    > but I _do_ disagree with it as a network load limiter.

    okay - i removed those parts already (kpolld) in today's patch. (It
    initially was an experiment to prove that this is the only problem we are
    facing under such loads.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.021 / U:0.568 seconds]