    SubjectRe: 2.4.13 errors and warnings
    On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Greg KH wrote:

    > These, and lots of the other pci_id table warnings are due to the tables
    > being used for MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() information. When the code is not
    > compiled as modules, those tables are not needed.
    >
    > Hm, I guess I should look into some kind of macro to keep this from
    > happening...

    A couple of months ago I thought about this and could think of two
    possible solutions:

    o add a __moddevtable which expands to __devinitdata
    __attribute((unused)).
    Drawback: Needs changing of all drivers which produce the warning.
    o add a variable which references the table within MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE.
    I implemented this, minor drawback is that it costs 4 bytes per table.
    However, IIRC Keith didn't like it at this time.

    The best option, of course, is to move drivers to the new-style pci or
    whatever interface, such that the table actually gets used. But the
    middle of a stable series is not necessarily the best time to do so.

    --Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:11    [W:0.022 / U:32.464 seconds]