SubjectRe: What is standing in the way of opening the 2.5 tree?
On Oct 27, 2001  22:46 -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> In particular, the quota stuff, which has sat in Alan's tree forever.
> If Linus is ignoring the changes it probably is for a good reason
> but it would be nice for him to let Alan know what that reason is :-)

AFAIK (not much, since I don't use quotas), the on-disk quota format used
by Alan's tree was changed to support 32-bit UID/GIDs, which makes it
incompatible with that used in the Linus tree. However, there was also
some quota merging done in 2.4.13 or so, which _may_ have resolved this.

Yes, it's vague, but nobody else has answered yet. I'm only aware of these
issues because the ext3 code had to work with both trees, and the quota
compat stuff was removed in the most recent ext3 release. That may have
only been an in-kernel API issue and not the on-disk format, I don't know.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger